Information for Medicare Patients

Medicare beneficiaries must meet or pay out of pocket a deductible amount each year starting January 1st. Your supplemental insurance coverage also requires you to meet this deductible before they start to pick up their share of medical bills. Once your deductible has been met, Medicare covers 80% of your medical bills, leaving the patient responsible for a 20% co-insurance amount. Please visit Medicare’s Coverage Homepage for further information at http://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html . This site provides a wide range of information about their Medicare coverage.

Medicare Part B now covers routine physicals (preventive care exams). Medicare's Initial Preventive Physical Examination (IPPE), also known as the "Welcome To Medicare" Physical Exam, is a one-time exam paid for by Part B coverage within the first 12 months of enrolling. The IPPE covers a thorough review of your health. If you've had Part B for longer than 12 months, you can get a "Yearly Wellness Visit" to develop or update a personalized prevention help plan to prevent disease and disability based on your current health and risk factors. This visit is covered once every 365+ days (a full year must pass between exams).

The only vaccinations covered by Medicare Part B are: Influenza vaccine, Pneumonia vaccine, and Hepatitis B vaccine for patients at high to medium risk for Hepatitis B. Your physician can discuss your Hepatitis B risk factors with you. All other inoculations and vaccinations are NOT covered by Medicare and are the patient's responsibility; these include but are not limited to Tetanus and Tuberculosis Skin Test (PPD).